Lindsey Berg Blog

Friday, March 20, 2009

Italy Arrival





After arriving Saturday morning in Milan, Italy.  I got swept away by my best friend's father to her house.  My dear friend Vally was on my team my first year playing in Italy.  She single handedly saved my life in Italy and made it as comfortable for me as it could ever be.  We have been best friends since and the main reason I made this trip to Italy.  But like I was saying I immediately came to her house and took a nap.  I knew I had a big night ahead of me. Vally is on the team I was on last year and surprising lives in the same apartment I lived in last year...so its like being at home.  But she does have a lot more stuff in the place then I did.  She fixed me a nice blow up bed in the living room...didn't know they could be so comfy. We ate lunch together then both napped again.  She was playing in the semi-finals of the Coppa CEV tournament against the Turkish team Fenerbache.

It was nice being back in the volleyball environment.  Everyone in Novara was very happy to see me.  I left the team last year with a good relationship with the club.  I had hoped to return but knew I had to take care of my knee after the Olympics. The team looked very good and came off with a 3-0 win ready to take on the Russian team in the finals.  The Russian team was coached by Karpol the famous screaming Russian coach, and assisted by Jerry Estes who all of us volleyballers know.

After the game I worked on my Italy talking with people I hadnt seen for almost a year now. Felt famous for a little bit having photos being snapped, autographs, and even photos being taken that I didn't know where being take.  But it was fun, and I was happy with the welcoming that I got. Definately made me want to play in Italy again...but still to early to know. Here are some paparazzi pics...




After the game we went to my favorite restaurant Poretti.  I don't know what I would have done without the crew at Poretti.  They will pretty much make anything you want.   I went there at least two times a week last year when I was playing in Novara.  Great food, great people, can't go wrong with Poretti. My other girl friend Sanja, who played with me last year and now plays in Chieri met us there.  Vally had to go home to sleep since she had a big game the next day.  But Sanja had the next day off so we decided to go see some of our old friends at Ganas and Hollywood in Milano. Those were two of my spots last year so I wanted to surprise them since I was back in town.



















After pretty much sleeping sunday away, I was ready for another volleyball game.  Luckily my girls at Novara won the cup again 3-0 and it was time to celebrate.  The night before I promised my friends at Ganas I would come back and see them for dinner.  So Sanja picked me up and we headed off to milan again.  Vally had a team dinner and planned on meeting us at Ganas a little later. Sanja and I had a great Mexican Italian style dinner the continued to chat it up with some old friends and met some new ones.  We finished the night at 3 other spots Luminal (hip hop spot), Toqueville (Italian Techno, a favorite of Italian soccer players), and finally Hollywood (the most famous club in Milan). 

Over all it was a great first weekend.  I got to see a little volleyball which I do miss, ate great food, and saw lots of friends. I got this message from one of my friends and would like to share it.

God doesn't give you the people you want.  he gives you the people you NEED.
-To help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you and to make you into the person you were meant to be.

More Italia to come...Baci (Kisses)

No comments:

Post a Comment