Lindsey Berg Blog

Friday, March 13, 2009

Great Convo & Hugs

Great conversation and hugs are two things that are so underrated. Saturday night at dinner the quality of the conversation was at an all time high.  Talking about family, friends, social issues, previous relationships, practically everything.  And towards the end of the night Jenna shared a story with Christi that I had already heard but could listen to it over and over again.  Its a story that gives you goose bumps, brings tears to your eyes and just down right makes us feel warm inside.  Jenna gave me permission to share the story but instead I am going to share the email she sent to Christi and I on Sunday.  It is a recap of the story along with some touching words from Jenna.  Here it is...


Hello!

 

Thanks for an absolutely fantastic weekend.  I haven't laughed, smiled, or shared so many good stories, while creating new memories like that in a long time.

 

As I promised, I wanted to share with you a little about Gertrude Bielenberg (my G'ma).

 

My cousin put the recipe book together, pulling together everything that was in my Grandma's recipe card box.

The title of the book is:

 

black bathing suit, red poppies, blue carnations

 

"If the family were a fruit, it would be an orange, a circle of sections, held together but separable - each segment distinct." Letty Cottin Pogrebin

 

The book then proceeds with AMAZING recipes of my childhood.  It ends wi

th a unique card, and I think it says a lot about who my Grandma was, and what was so important to her; friends and family.  It's almost as if it was her recipe for life and for love.  It is as follows:

 

The Joy and Value of Hugging

 

"'Tenderness,' says psychologist Eric Promm in 'The Art of Loving,' 'is the most beautiful but least remembered word in the language.' How desperately we need not just the word but tenderness itself:

 

Social scientist Virginia Satir, famous for her family studies, says 'hugging is good medicine.  It transfers energy and gives the person hugged an emotional boost...'

 

'You need four hugs a day for survival, eight for maintenance and 12 for growth.  A hug can say things you don't have words for...The nicest thing about it is that you usually can't give one without getting one.'

 

She adds that a hug makes us feel good because 'the skin is the largest organ we have, and it needs a great deal of care.  A hug can cover a lot of skin area and give the message that you care.'"

 

With my eyes teary, and a lump in my throat, I can truly say that YES, I have been loved, and it's through great friends like you.

Enjoy your day, it has been a fabulous weekend!

 

Jenna


I want you all to meet Jenna.  Jenna has been my friend since my freshman year in college.  We met through mutual friends and throughout the 10 years our friendship has blossomed into one that will last forever.  I love you Jenna.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lindsay, hi to everyone there and especially to Jenna ... these words, yours and form Jenna's e-mail, all of them, are really wounderful and touch, really, the deepest atom of my soul ... it's a question of skin, of skin covered by tenderness and mutual laughing, here in Italy we use a special word, Intimità, maybe in english Intimacy, but really I am not sure, but I believe it can collect everything because Intimità is that state of the mind when people can share everything in every way, a sort of magic moment to be two or more in one, not in in an abstract way, but in a deep sense of consciousness.
    that's all, that's my opinion
    ciao
    SG gennusovolley@alice.it

    ReplyDelete