Lindsey Berg Blog

Saturday, August 8, 2009

3 day trip to Italy

I fought real hard not to make this trip.  Anyone else would think I am crazy...you mean you don't want to go to Italy??? Yes I want to go to Italy, but not for 3 days, and for a doctor's visit. Well that is what I was thinking before I got here.  But now that my trip is almost over my thoughts have changed.  The main reason I came here was to meet my new Italian team, Villa Cortese, and to pass a doctor's physical because they were nervous about my knee.
After about 16 hours of travel, my president, Gian Carlo and vice president, Carlo picked me up. It was funny when I walked out of baggage claim...they didn't recognize me but I knew who they were.  Doesn't surprise me they have probably only seen me in a uniform...and I must admit I look quite different especially with my big shades on.  They were impressed with my Italian...I really don't know why it was pretty sketchy at the start of the trip.  They brought me to an apartment complex that a couple of the girls would be living in but not my exact one.  This was where I would stay for the 3 days.  I can't complain...the only thing was it is so hot here right now...and I am spoiled with AC normally but I'll get over it.  I had a little time to get settled then they picked me up for dinner.  I had a great dinner with those 2 and Ivano joined us, he is in charge of all the event planning.  I had a one of my favorites, Tagliata con rucola, grana, e balsamico (cut steak with rucola, Parmesan, and balsamic vinegar). They were great company, asked me a lot of questions, and overall I think I gave them a first good impression.

Sleepy time.  The time change was already messing with me.  I went to sleep pretty early but woke up at 3am and didn't go back to bed until 7am.  Good thing I didn't have to be ready until noon.  I got picked up by Marco our trainer.  We had to go take some passport photos for some documents.  Then we met the crew at the Sponsors factory.  Our main sponsor is Pietro Carnaghi.  They make huge equipment that Boeing and other huge companies use to produce energy...i probably got that all wrong...gotta do more research.  But the tour was very impressive.  I met the sponsors and they were fabulous...I felt like I had met them before they were so welcoming.  I took pictures, did some interviews and that was that.  Next I was off to my physical.  I was a little nervous considering I am not 100% yet...but I passed.  I was invited to dinner but after I got back to the apartment I couldn't keep my eyes open.  I ended up sleeping until 330PM the next day.  Luckily I had nothing to do.  I chose to just relax and wait until dinner.  Carlo picked me up along with his family and we had a great dinner.  None of them spoke English so I had to step it up.  I surprised myself with my skills.  Had Branzino, spinach and wine...love food in Italy...so fresh.

I am leaving tomorrow morning with a great feeling.  So happy I made this trip...now they really know me as a person not only Lindsey Berg the volleyball player.  Even though the town is so very small, the organization is like a family, and the team is going to surprise a lot of people.  Oh and did I mention it is only 20 min from Milan...shhhh.  Can't wait to be back on the court in Italy again.

Italia, Ciao for now...be back in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment